WISDOM BUILDS THE SOUL
Romans 16:19 I want you to be wise in doing right and to stay innocent of any wrong.
Proverbs 4:7 Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do! And whatever else you do, develop good judgment.
It has been said that there are 3 ways to learn:
1. The easy way – Learn from other peoples mistakes
2. The hard way – Learn from your own mistakes
3. The tragic way – Not to learn from either
2 Chronicles 1:6-12
6 There in front of the Tabernacle, Solomon went up to the bronze altar in the Lord’s presence and sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings on it.
7 That night God appeared to Solomon and said, “What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!”
8 Solomon replied to God, “You showed faithful love to David, my father, and now you have made me king in his place. 9 O Lord God, please continue to keep your promise to David my father, for you have made me king over a people as numerous as the dust of the earth! 10 Give me the wisdom and knowledge to lead them properly, for who could possibly govern this great people of yours?”
11 God said to Solomon, “Because your greatest desire is to help your people, and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life, but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people— 12 I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!”
Wisdom can be described as God’s Word Applied.
Proverbs 4:7 (NKJV)
Wisdom is the principal thing;Therefore get wisdom.
What is Wisdom For?James has seven suggestions for the purpose of wisdom (James 3:17, 18).17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. 18 And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.
· Peace loving.
· Gentleness - Kind and considerate.
· Shows itself by the good it does.
· No hypocrisy
Wisdom’s purpose is the foundation of our relationships in life. It gives us the ability to build great moral and value structures on.
How do you Get Wisdom?Proverbs 2 1-7 The Benefits of Wisdom2 My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands.
2 Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding.
3 Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding.
4 Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures.
5 Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
7 He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity.
1. Stir up a DESIRE for Wisdom
The actions described in this verse is:
· CRY out
· SEARCH for it
2. Ask For it..
· You cannot study to get a degree in “wisdom” because it surpasses knowledge and intellect.Deuteronomy 30:19 (NLT)19 “Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!
Simply put: WISDOM BEGINS WITH A CHOICE
Proverbs 8 (NLT)1.Listen as Wisdom calls out!Hear as understanding raises her voice!2 On the hilltop along the road, she takes her stand at the crossroads.3 By the gates at the entrance to the town,on the road leading in, she cries aloud,4 “I call to you, to all of you!I raise my voice to all people.James 1:55 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.
3. Be of Good CharacterJames 3:13 (NKJV)13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom.Proverbs 1 (NLT)1 These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel.2 Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline,to help them understand the insights of the wise.3 Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,to help them do what is right, just, and fair.
Discipline is living within the boundaries of God Word and His Grace.
4. Do GoodJames 3:17It is full of mercy and good deeds.Hebrews 10:24 NLTLet us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.Matthew 5:16In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.1 Peter 2:12Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbours. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honourable behaviour, and they will give honour to God when he judges the world.
5. Remain HumbleJames 3:13 NLTIf you are wise and understand God's ways, prove it by living an honourable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.
1. Wisdom is the Foundation
· Building dream houses depends on carefully following detailed architectural plans.Proverbs 24 (NLT)3 A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense.4 Through knowledge its rooms are filledwith all sorts of precious riches and valuables.
· The foundation of a house determines what is built.
· Foundations are also built for the worst of seasons and weather. They are built to withstand the storms. Floods and gale-force winds that do come our way.
Matt 7:24-2724 “Anyone who listens to my teaching and follows it is wise, like a person who builds a house on solid rock. 25 Though the rain comes in torrents and the floodwaters rise and the winds beat against that house, it won’t collapse because it is built on bedrock. 26 But anyone who hears my teaching and doesn’t obey it is foolish, like a person who builds a house on sand. 27 When the rains and floods come and the winds beat against that house, it will collapse with a mighty crash.”Psalm 127:1 NIVUnless the Lord builds the house,the builders labor in vain.
2. Wisdom is Releasing…
· Many build something that SEEMS right instead of what IS right.
· Some attempt to build on rules and regulations, assuming that if they keep all the rules, they can never go wrong.
1 Corinthians 6:12 (NKJV)12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.
Rules will always look at what is lawful but wisdom will focus on what is helpful and beneficial.
3. Wisdom and Knowledge go hand in hand
Proverbs 14:33 (NLT)33 Wisdom is enshrined in an understanding heart
Proverbs 3:13 (NLT)13 Joyful is the person who finds wisdom, the one who gains understanding.
· It is one thing to have knowledge but another to know how to apply it
· Raw talent can take you so far, however to be successful you have to apply yourself.
Proverbs 2:2 (NLT)2 Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding.
When you understand you have to make a decision and use discipline to create the boundaries.
Colossians 2:6-7 (Message)
6-7 My counsel for you is simple and straightforward: Just go ahead with what you’ve been given. You received Christ Jesus, the Master; now live him. You’re deeply rooted in him. You’re well constructed upon him. You know your way around the faith. Now do what you’ve been taught. School’s out; quit studying the subject and start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving.